Today’s technology news.
The space shuttle Challenger exploded on this day in 1986 killing all seven astronauts aboard.
- The collateral damage from MyDoom continues to reverberate through email systems. As much as 10% of all email is MyDoom related – either the virus itself or bounce mails from corporate and ISP virus filters. One of the targets of MyDoom, SCO, is offering a $250,000 bounty for the virus’s author.
- The US Government is responding by creating an early warning system for cyberattacks. The Department of Homeland Security will announce a color coded alert system that should make us all feel much better about being flooded by virus related email.
- Word 2003 users should download a patch that fixes more than 400 bugs. Office now has an update feature that works just like Windows Update – probably worth bookmarking that and checking it regularly.
- Amazon has shown a nice profit for the year just ending, $35.3 million on revenue of $5.26 billion. This is the online retailers first full year profit ever.
- Me too, me too! Microsoft has released a beta of the MSN Toolbar to compete with Google and Yahoo! offerings. Only one problem: it uses MSN for its search engine. Pew.