Today’s top tech stories:
- The numbers are in and the Athlon 64 is a clear winner according to PC World. The Athlon 64 trounced the Pentium 4 in nearly all tests except ripping in MusicMatch. It also beat the Apple G5 in all areas except Photoshop.
- The RIAA may have snagged another innocent victim. He says it’s not my IP address, man and I don’t even like Latin music. QED. The EFF is representing him.
- The Microprocessor Forum is on in San Jose. Transmeta unveiled its Efficeon, saying it has solved the transistor leakage problem. Nvidia announces the nForce 3 Go120 Media and Communications Processor designed for Efficeon notebooks. Sub-notebooks with the two should ship next year.
- Intel’s Q3 earnings are up 142%, the best Q3 growth since 1996. Could it be the slump is over?
- Dell announces two new Axim PDAs adding Wi-Fi and a low-priced model.
- Mozilla 1.5 is final, and there are new versions of Thunderbird and Firebird, too.